I-77 sign structure falls on car after being struck by drunk driver, NCDOT says
WSOCTV.com News Staff
Sat, November 29, 2025 at 6:19 PM UTC
1 min read
A crash shut down lanes on I-77 in southwest Charlotte Friday night around 10:45 p.m.
The incident occurred in the southbound lanes near Exit 5 at Tyvola Road, and crews estimate the road will remain closed until almost 2 AM.
A Channel 9 crew at the scene could see that the crash had taken down an interstate sign.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation said the structure had been hit by a drunk driver. The Interstate Maintenance Unit worked with firefighters to clear the scene.
Multiple Charlotte Fire crews worked together to free a driver trapped in a car beneath the wreckage.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MEDIC responded to the crash. Two people were sent to a hospital with serious injuries, officials said.
The cause of the crash is currently unknown. Channel 9 is working to learn more.
All lanes reopened around 5:45 a.m. Saturday, according to the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
(WATCH BELOW: 2 charged in fatal Concord hit-and-run)